Saturday, January 23, 2010

Zachary = Poem #1:

I opened a box of my favorite postcards,
reminiscing in the smell and touch of each one,
caressing photos and handwritten letters
each filled with memories long forgotten.
Letters from friends who vanished in thin air,
or friends who became friends no more.
Lovers long forgotten, with kisses covering each page,
and those from missionaries who might have been.
Family photos from every year, changing gradually
that one doesn’t realize till later,
how much time is passing by, or how much they’ve grown
before I see them face to face again.
Memories is the back of my head,
each one connected with a simple scent,
simple word, or simple event
bringing back the pain or the joy,
eventually the sorrow that
I can’t go back to what used to be.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this poem, Lauren. It has a totally different feel than most of what you've written, but it's great.

    A couple of suggestions: I would change the "one" in line ten to an "I" because you have and "I" a couple of lines down and that will make it more personal. Also, did you mean "into thin air" instead of "in thin air"?

    I love the line "Lovers long forgotten, with kisses covering every page." Great image. You also bring the sense of scent in the poem and I can smell old paper and boxes full of old treasures. Love it!

    ReplyDelete